Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Do you find this offensive? Sorry. Well actually...


This past weekend I went to visit some family in the mountains. I was told that my Allman Brothers sticker on my car could be offensive to people and that I should be more careful about doing things that other people may find offensive, especially the good ole people of Ashe County aka "God's Country." On a sidenote if you want to buy from God's Country in God's Country go here. God forbid you would like to purchase this offensive sticker, go here.

Anyway I was then later asked what my boss would say about my sticker...of course if sarcasm went over well in that neck of the woods I would have replied something along the lines of-they think I'm an herb smoking, shroom eating, long haired hippie...however sarasm and humor sometimes doesn't work to your advantage.

I did reply that if I did offend someone, which I should not have, but if I did offend some old, narrowminded, racist bigot...I should pat myself on the back. For a point of reference of the mindset of some of the citizens...the highest mountain in the county, Mt. Jefferson was officially known as another name (at least from what I've been told...this could be an incorrect statement) until the 1970s, which you may rightfully find offensive. USGS data

I then mention what about all these people with the politically driven stickers...such as this one.(which happens to say almost nothing, yet speak volumes, while still saying absolutely nothing)

This discussion goes off into a tangent...how I believe one of the biggest problems about society is that people are too sensitive and get offended (or at least say they are) too easily. My belief is you'll know society has progressed when people can say what they want...seriously or joking...and not worry about being PC or offending someone. Why's that? Because that would mean that everyone has gotten past their differences and have reached a point in which everyone embraces one another...we wouldn't get bent out of shape over some silly or insignificant remark.

The Anti-islamic cartoon from the Netherlands, was brought up...I think George Carlin put it best when he stated that too many of the people Middle East are too serious...there's no humor in the Middle East. This seems to be a good point, though I've never been there, so I can't really comment, but it makes sense. And then the whole thing about going to war over religion...over water or oil or money, I can see-not that I necessarily advocate that, I can at least understand...war over abstract things, ideas, theology-I don't understand...why people fight over something that cannot be seen, I'll never understand. I guess I see it this way having lived in a country that's "tolerant" of others. anyway off this tangent.

I thought I'd brainstorm and list any reason why my Allman Brothers Band sticker could offend someone. So here we go...I'm trying to reason with the person that accused me of being offensive...note that some of the reasons are absurd, (you have to think absurdly to reason with those that think absurdly) but I'm just trying to see how this is offensive:

  1. Someone who doesn't like their music.
  2. Someone who doesn't like peaches.
  3. Maybe someone is still upset that Dickey Betts is no longer in the band.
  4. The fact that they had/have long hair.
  5. Hippies!
  6. One of the first racially integrated bands from the south...well actually period. (which Phil Walden was credited for being a genius...it was of course Duane who put it together)
  7. They Jam too much.
  8. Don't like "jam bands." (I don't consider them a "jam band")
  9. Don't like "southern rock." (I don't consider them southern rock by the way)
  10. They don't play Ramblin' Man in concert now (see #3)
  11. Their association with psilocybin. recent NY Times article
  12. Christians could be offended they are a secular band.
  13. Non Christians could find Oteil Burbridge offensive because he's openly Christian.
  14. Greg married Cher...ok that one's reasonable.
  15. Their songs are too long.
  16. Someone who is boycotting them for "kickin'" Dickey out
  17. Their guitar players are too damn talented.
  18. Those long haired hippies!
  19. The fans at their concerts consist of only drunks and bikers. (they draw a very diverse crowd by the way)
  20. They're old...Put in that new Nelly Furtado CD...this just happened to be the #1 cd on billboards right now...she's actually pretty damn hot

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I remember right, Eat a Peach turned into a tribute album to Duane. Not sure how your sticker could be construed as offensive, but maybe it's because I'm a bloke who is not easily offended. Plus, I live in the Devil's country.

B Ray said...

You're right, above the track listing in the liner notes and in the actual Eat A Peach picture inside...it says "Dedicated to a Brother."