Thursday, August 03, 2006

When Good Music Goes Bad...


I try not to be too critical about music/bands or whatever. Sure I'll write off some bands, songs, and even entire genres but I'm careful about saying xxx sucks or I hate xxx type of music. I think what is fair game for me to criticize is bands that I enjoy extensively, who sometimes fall short in my opinion. Take The Allman Brothers, Black Crowes, Beatles:

ABB:
The dreaded 1979-1981 era. Mike Lawler (pic on the left) on synth. I still cringe when I hear him playing the synth solo on You Don't Love Me from the Brothers of the Road DVD. One Allman fan described seeing Lawler's playing sounded something like what a "goat might make if was being sodomized".
The DVD does have its moments-the jams in the hotel are cool and Dickey certainly has his moments. Enlightened Rogues CD has some good material but the albums that came out afterwards, I haven't bothered checking out. I did find bassist Rook Goldflies internet site and from my experience Dangerous Dan Toler was a nice guy.
But then again it was the 80s. Synths were in and so was a lot of bad music.
Good to see they got their act together in '89 and are definitely Hitting The Note.

Black Crowes:
Seeing the video to Blackberry, off of Three Snakes and One Charm, was what inspired me to write this piece. Where do I start with, the video or the lyrics? So the video has this whole psyechedelic cartoon Alice In Wonderland thing going on. It immediately reminds me of Tom Petty's Don't Come Around Here No More. I always hated that song and video.
The lyrics might even be worse. I think Chris Robinson is a fantastic lyricist, which makes these all the more disappointing.
The chorus:
I need some L-O-V-E-N to make me happy
You got to be L-U-C-K-Y to get
With a girl like Blackberry

Beatles:
Yellow Submarine. I think maybe they shouldn't have let Ringo do his "one" song on this album.

No comments: