Monday, July 31, 2006

Music - Indian and a lil' Theory

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingSo tonight, I'm catching the Daily Show with Jon Stewart...one of the correspondents does a piece on hookahs:
Trend Spotting with Demetri Martin – the “trend” of Hookah pipes in the Middle East, and the “growing trend” in the US as soldiers return from the Middle East. Demetri visits a hookah bar in NY. It was an amusing piece.
This then reminds me of when I went to a hookah bar with a few friends, maybe a month and half ago or so...Interesting experience, I don't smoke, but it was actually a bit soothing and pleasant. A lot of the music was interesting as well, a fusion of classical indian and arabic music with modern forms of music, def some stuff I'd like to listen to again.
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingThis then gets me in a mood to listen to sarod artist Ali Abkar Akan.
From there I put in Derek Trucks first CD (which features 2 sarod performances)...and then onto Steve Kimock.

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingAll this got me to the Fareed Haque website. Fareed's the jam/jazz/classical indian guitarist for the cleverly named Garaj Mahal and the less cleverly named Fareed Haque Band.
What this all brings me to is Haque's well done guitar/music lessons on his website, which are very effective of breaking down different musical aspects into layman's terms...so basically this whole blog is just a reminder to myself to check out Fareed's site, as I've gotten some really good tips from here...it also proves that since it is my blog, I can make every post as concise/long and as relevant/irrelevant (depending on the perspective) as I wish.

No comments: